1 - The origins of the Marais
|After the Seine had taken the course we know today, the arm going north, at the foot hills of Belleville and Montmartre overwhelmed and formed a belt of swamps.|
These were crossed very early by a few major roads.
In the district under consideration, the current street St Martin and St Anthony appeared in Roman times.
In 879, the emperor Charles the Bald gave Abbey Ste Opportune swamps she began to grassland before alienating part cropland.
These lands were transformed into "swamp" Parisian word for vegetable crops and herbs. At the end of the Middle Ages, many of the "swamp" of fruit trees were planted.
At the beginning of the conquest of the marshes and their settlement we find religious institutions and among them: St Martin des Champs, and the house of the Temple.
Du 14e au 16e sièclePhilip Augustus, about to go on a crusade, decided to protect Paris by building an enclosure. The current Marais was then outside of it, but the doors were opened in this place to facilitate access to properties located outside the city and a street called Rue des Francs Bourgeois skirted outside wall.
To 1360, the future Charles V still dolphin, undertook the construction of a new enclosure covering a wider area than the previous.
The Marais is well attached to the city receives its consecration when Charles V, fleeing his palace (current courthouse) after riots prefers to Hotel St. Paul is located between St Anthony and the dock .
His son Charles VI, which doctors advise entertained, in fact the home of "Happy Ebattements".
Au 18e siècle
|Place Royale (now Place des Vosges), created at the behest of Henry IV, became the heart of the Marais. It becomes a place of elegance and festivities. It was through her that princes and ambassadors made ??their solemn entry into Paris became accustomed to go to admire.|
The nobles and courtiers edify round about beautiful homes that decorate the best artists of the Grand Siècle.
The Marais then develops at the time the type of the mansion in the French classic and discreet building between courtyard and garden away from the street and its inconvenience.
Precious, philosophers and freethinkers held there brilliant shows. Musicians and speakers are sounding the vaults of St Paul and St Gervais.
The storming of the Bastille marks the end of residential Marais.
The hotels were often abandoned, sold or seized; their owners emigrated to province or out of the kingdom, some arrested, died on the guillotine.
Jusqu'au 20e siècleThe beautiful hotels leased, sub-leased, sold, deteriorated gradually: the apartments were divided, destroyed ceilings, during transformed into workshops for artisans, facades received additions of all kinds.
All media, until the early 20th century did show an equal nonchalance towards this unfortunate neighborhood.
Only need to install some jurisdictions permit the rescue of some monuments which however suffered from their new assignments (Hotels Soubise / Rohan / Carnavalet / Le Peletier).
Commission du Vieux Paris, created in 1897 advised the city on the choice of monuments to be preserved. This helped the state was able to buy hotels to assign a worthy destination, this time, their past (hotel Aubert de Fontenay says "Sale" today the Picasso Museum).
In 1962, under the leadership of Andre Malraux, the law "saved Quarter" awards grants to restore the mansions. This new situation has made known to the neighborhood social transformation: the craftsmen left replaced by more affluent backgrounds. Today some blame elsewhere in Marsh losing its popular life and nothing more than a "museum district" visited by tourists.
Le Marais thus find, little by little, from the early 20th century, its luster, its greatness in the 17th and 18th century, the Parisians had forgotten, it seems, too soon after the Revolution.
Remains of the Church of St. Paul
Postmen in the event of May 1909
|Copyright (C) 2007 ABU. Tous droits réservés.|